Article

Bear Call Option Trading Strategy

27 Apr 2018 Nilesh Jain

New Page 1

What is a Bear Call Spread Option strategy?

A Bear Call Spread is a bearish option strategy. It is also called as a Credit Call Spread because it creates net upfront credit at the time of initiation. It involves two call options with different strike prices but same expiration date. A bear call spread is initiated with anticipation of decline in the underlying assets, similar to bear put spread.

When to initiate a Bear Call Spread Option strategy?

A Bear Call Spread Option strategy is used when the option trader expects that the underlying assets will fall moderately or hold steady in the near term. It consists of two call options – short and buy call. Short call’s main purpose is to generate income, whereas higher buy call is bought to limit the upside risk.

How to construct the Bear Call Spread?

Bear Call Spread can be implemented by selling ATM call option and simultaneously buying OTM call option of the same underlying assets with same expiry. Strike price can be customized as per the convenience of the trader.

Probability of making money

A Bear Call Spread has a higher probability of making money. The probability of making money is 67% because Bear Call Spread will be profitable even if the underlying assets holds steady or falls. While, Bear Put Spread has probability of only 33% because it will be profitable only when the underlying assets fall.

Strategy

Sell 1 ATM call and Buy 1 OTM call

Market Outlook

Neutral to Bearish

Motive

Earn income with limited risk

Breakeven at expiry

Strike Price of short Call + Net Premium received

Risk

Difference between two strikes - premium received

Reward

Limited to premium received

Margin required

Yes

Let’s try to understand with an example:

Nifty Current spot price (Rs)

9300

Sell 1 ATM call of strike price (Rs)

9300

Premium received (Rs)

105

Buy 1 OTM call of strike price (Rs)

9400

Premium paid (Rs)

55

Break Even point (BEP)

9350

Lot Size

75

Net Premium Received (Rs)

50

Suppose Nifty is trading at Rs 9300. If Mr. A believes that price will fall below 9300 or holds steady on or before the expiry, so he enters Bear Call Spread by selling 9300 call strike price at Rs 105 and simultaneously buying 9400 call strike price at Rs 55. The net premium received to initiate this trade is Rs 50. Maximum profit from the above example would be Rs 3750 (50*75). It would only occur when the underlying assets expires at or below 9300. In this case both long and short call options expire worthless and you can keep the net upfront credit received. Maximum loss would also be limited if it breaches breakeven point on upside. However, loss would also be limited up to Rs 3750(50*75).

For the ease of understanding, we did not take in to account commission charges. Following is the payoff chart and payoff schedule assuming different scenarios of expiry.

The Payoff Schedule:

On Expiry Nifty closes at

Net Payoff from Call Sold 9300 (Rs)

Net Payoff from Call Bought 9400 (Rs)

Net Payoff (Rs)

8900

105

-55

50

9000

105

-55

50

9100

105

-55

50

9200

105

-55

50

9300

105

-55

50

9350

55

-55

0

9400

5

-55

-50

9500

-95

45

-50

9600

-195

145

-50

9700

-295

245

-50

9800

-395

345

-50

Bear Call Spread’s Payoff Chart:

Impact of Options Greeks:

Delta: The net Delta of Bear Call Spread would be negative, which indicates any upside movement would result in to loss. The ATM strike sold has higher Delta as compared to OTM strike bought.

Vega: Bear Call Spread has a negative Vega. Therefore, one should initiate this strategy when the volatility is high and is expected to fall.

Theta: The net Theta of Bear Call Spread will be positive. Time decay will benefit this strategy.

Gamma: This strategy will have a short Gamma position, so any upside movement in the underline asset will have a negative impact on the strategy.

How to manage Risk?

A Bear Call is exposed to limited risk; hence carrying overnight position is advisable.

Analysis of Bear Call Options strategy:

A Bear Call Spread strategy is limited-risk, limited-reward strategy. This strategy is best to use when an investor has neutral to bearish view on the underlying assets. The key benefit of this strategy is the probability of making money is higher.


Similar Articles
  • Responses
  • Patidar Samaj

    - 2 hrs ago

    This article claims RJio was given a "Backdoor Entry" into the 4G Based Voice Routing. The peculiar aspect is without the Voice License, Rjio would have been a mere ISP. With the license, it is now a holistic communications service provider, with ability to exponentially scale the bouquet of products. The events indicate it was meticulously planned way before the auctions because the auctions were clear on the agenda: 4G for internet only.

Load More
Have Referral Code?

Recent Articles

Beginner's Corner

Bear Call Option Trading Strategy

27 Apr 2018 Nilesh Jain

New Page 1

What is a Bear Call Spread Option strategy?

A Bear Call Spread is a bearish option strategy. It is also called as a Credit Call Spread because it creates net upfront credit at the time of initiation. It involves two call options with different strike prices but same expiration date. A bear call spread is initiated with anticipation of decline in the underlying assets, similar to bear put spread.

When to initiate a Bear Call Spread Option strategy?

A Bear Call Spread Option strategy is used when the option trader expects that the underlying assets will fall moderately or hold steady in the near term. It consists of two call options – short and buy call. Short call’s main purpose is to generate income, whereas higher buy call is bought to limit the upside risk.

How to construct the Bear Call Spread?

Bear Call Spread can be implemented by selling ATM call option and simultaneously buying OTM call option of the same underlying assets with same expiry. Strike price can be customized as per the convenience of the trader.

Probability of making money

A Bear Call Spread has a higher probability of making money. The probability of making money is 67% because Bear Call Spread will be profitable even if the underlying assets holds steady or falls. While, Bear Put Spread has probability of only 33% because it will be profitable only when the underlying assets fall.

Strategy

Sell 1 ATM call and Buy 1 OTM call

Market Outlook

Neutral to Bearish

Motive

Earn income with limited risk

Breakeven at expiry

Strike Price of short Call + Net Premium received

Risk

Difference between two strikes - premium received

Reward

Limited to premium received

Margin required

Yes

Let’s try to understand with an example:

Nifty Current spot price (Rs)

9300

Sell 1 ATM call of strike price (Rs)

9300

Premium received (Rs)

105

Buy 1 OTM call of strike price (Rs)

9400

Premium paid (Rs)

55

Break Even point (BEP)

9350

Lot Size

75

Net Premium Received (Rs)

50

Suppose Nifty is trading at Rs 9300. If Mr. A believes that price will fall below 9300 or holds steady on or before the expiry, so he enters Bear Call Spread by selling 9300 call strike price at Rs 105 and simultaneously buying 9400 call strike price at Rs 55. The net premium received to initiate this trade is Rs 50. Maximum profit from the above example would be Rs 3750 (50*75). It would only occur when the underlying assets expires at or below 9300. In this case both long and short call options expire worthless and you can keep the net upfront credit received. Maximum loss would also be limited if it breaches breakeven point on upside. However, loss would also be limited up to Rs 3750(50*75).

For the ease of understanding, we did not take in to account commission charges. Following is the payoff chart and payoff schedule assuming different scenarios of expiry.

The Payoff Schedule:

On Expiry Nifty closes at

Net Payoff from Call Sold 9300 (Rs)

Net Payoff from Call Bought 9400 (Rs)

Net Payoff (Rs)

8900

105

-55

50

9000

105

-55

50

9100

105

-55

50

9200

105

-55

50

9300

105

-55

50

9350

55

-55

0

9400

5

-55

-50

9500

-95

45

-50

9600

-195

145

-50

9700

-295

245

-50

9800

-395

345

-50

Bear Call Spread’s Payoff Chart:

Impact of Options Greeks:

Delta: The net Delta of Bear Call Spread would be negative, which indicates any upside movement would result in to loss. The ATM strike sold has higher Delta as compared to OTM strike bought.

Vega: Bear Call Spread has a negative Vega. Therefore, one should initiate this strategy when the volatility is high and is expected to fall.

Theta: The net Theta of Bear Call Spread will be positive. Time decay will benefit this strategy.

Gamma: This strategy will have a short Gamma position, so any upside movement in the underline asset will have a negative impact on the strategy.

How to manage Risk?

A Bear Call is exposed to limited risk; hence carrying overnight position is advisable.

Analysis of Bear Call Options strategy:

A Bear Call Spread strategy is limited-risk, limited-reward strategy. This strategy is best to use when an investor has neutral to bearish view on the underlying assets. The key benefit of this strategy is the probability of making money is higher.