Top Realty Stocks to Invest in 2023
Overview of Real Estate in India
1. Robust Demand
• According to Savills India, real estate demand for data centres is expected to increase by 15-18 million sq. ft. by 2025.
• The sales in the luxury residential market scaled by 151% year-over-year (y-o-y) in the quarter from January-March, 2023.
• Organised retail real estate stock is expected to increase by 28% to 82 million sq. ft. by 2023.
2. Attractive Opportunities
• As per ICRA estimates, Indian firms are expected to raise >Rs. 3.5 trillion (US$ 48 billion) through infrastructure and real estate investment trusts in 2022, as compared with raised funds worth US$ 29 billion to date.
• Private market investor, Blackstone, which has significantly invested in the Indian real estate sector (worth Rs. 3.8 lakh crore (US$ 50 billion), is seeking to invest an additional Rs. 1.7 lakh crore (US$ 22 billion) by 2030
Here are some important factors to consider before investing in realty stocks:
1. Market Research:
Conduct thorough research on the real estate market, both locally and nationally. Understand the current trends, demand-supply dynamics, and future growth prospects. Analyse macroeconomic factors like interest rates, economic growth, and population trends that can impact the real estate sector.
2. Company Analysis:
Research the specific realty companies you are considering investing in. Look into their financials, management team, track record, and reputation. Check if the company has a diversified portfolio of properties, which can help reduce risk.
3. Property Types:
Different realty companies specialize in various property types such as residential, commercial, industrial, or retail. Consider which property segment aligns with your investment goals and has better growth potential.
Location is a critical factor in real estate. Invest in companies with properties in prime locations that are expected to appreciate over time. Factors like proximity to transportation, amenities, and overall infrastructure development can impact property values.
5. Regulatory Environment:
Real estate is heavily regulated. Be aware of local zoning laws, property regulations, and tax implications that can affect the company's operations and profitability.
6. Financial Health:
Analyse the company's financial health, including its debt levels, liquidity, and cash flow. Companies with lower debt ratios and strong cash reserves are generally more stable and better equipped to weather economic downturns.
7. Dividend History:
Realty stocks can provide income through dividends. Research the company's dividend history and pay-out ratio to assess the sustainability of dividends over the long term.
Real estate investments are subject to market volatility, economic cycles, and other risks. Understand and assess these risks before investing. Also, consider risks specific to the company, such as project delays, regulatory hurdles, or tenant-related issues.
Evaluate the stock's valuation by looking at key metrics like price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio, price-to-book (P/B) ratio, and dividend yield. Compare these metrics with industry peers to determine if the stock is undervalued or overvalued.
As with any investment, diversification is important. Consider spreading your investment across multiple realty companies or other sectors to reduce overall risk.
11. Long-Term Perspective:
Real estate investments often require a long-term perspective. Be prepared to hold onto your investments for several years to potentially benefit from property appreciation and other long-term trends.
12. Professional Advice:
If you're new to investing or the real estate sector, consider seeking advice from financial advisors or investment professionals who specialize in realty stocks.
Remember that investing in realty stocks, like any investment, involves inherent risks. It's important to do your due diligence, stay informed, and make well-informed investment decisions based on your financial goals and risk tolerance.
Overview of the Best Realty Stocks
Key Operational Highlights:
1. Phoenix Mills (PHNX) initiated coverage in Mar’23, benefiting from healthy mall expansion in Indore and Ahmedabad, with upcoming malls in Pune and Bengaluru.
2. Progress on occupancy ramp-up in existing malls; Pune and Bengaluru malls expected to be delivered in 2QFY24.
3. Estimated 31% EBITDA CAGR over FY23-25E, with strong performance in retail and hospitality segments.
4. Consumption in retail portfolio up 9% YoY on a like-for-like (LFL) basis; consumption across mall portfolio increased by 18% YoY.
1. Near-term growth potential already priced in with a 30% stock price run-up since coverage initiation.
2. External factors affecting consumption trends, such as economic fluctuations or regulatory changes.
3. Delay or complications in the completion of new malls could impact growth projections.
4. Intense competition in the retail and hospitality sectors affecting market share and profitability.
1. 1QFY24 revenue at INR8.1b, 5% above estimates, driven by strong retail and hospitality performance.
2. EBITDA growth of 52% YoY to INR4.9b (9% beat), with margin expansion of ~450bp YoY and ~170bp QoQ to 60.7%.
3. PAT increased 50% YoY to INR2.4b (20% above estimates), with a margin of ~30%, up 150bp YoY.
4. Strong OCF of INR4.5b and net debt decreased by INR1.5b to INR16.3b.
1. Anticipate continued growth trajectory, with new malls in Pune and Bengaluru contributing to future revenue.
2. Consumption growth expected to be driven by high trading occupancy, a strong content pipeline, and upcoming festivals.
3. Positive trajectory in hospitality segment, with high occupancy and revenue growth.
4. Debt trajectory likely to inch up as equity is released for growth opportunities, maintaining a strong balance sheet.
|GP Margin (%)||92.95|
|Op Margin (%)||60.73|
|NP Margin (%)||35.9|
Key Operation Highlights
1. Continue to implement our strategy of bringing calibrated supply in select markets.
2. Remain focused on timely execution of launched products.
3. Planned launches for current fiscal progressing as per plan.
4. New office developments expected to continue to witness healthy demand; Significant pre-leasing in new office products.
5. Remain enthused on growth prospects in the retail business; progress on new retail destinations remains on track.
1. In Developmental Business, continue to scaling-up our product offerings; developing margin accretive products.
Tapping multiple geographies; Core: Gurugram / Delhi NCR; Other Key Markets: Chennai/Chandigarh Tri-city/Goa.
2. In Rental Business, Double digit rental growth through organic growth and New developments. Significant increase in retail presence; Portfolio to grow to 2x in next 4-5 years.
3. Improving profitability, targeting steady double digit PAT growth annually; Improving Shareholder returns by enhancing Dividend Pay-out over time.
1. Stock is trading at 3.19 times its book value
2. The company has delivered a poor sales growth of -3.22% over past five years.
3. Company has a low return on equity of 4.48% over last 3 years.
1. Company has reduced debt.
2. Company is almost debt free.
3. Company has delivered good profit growth of 44.2% CAGR over last 5 years.
4. Company has been maintaining a healthy dividend pay-out of 47.8%, showing great trajectory of growing with the upcoming new projects and improvement in the cash management.
|GP Margin (%)||100|
|Op Margin (%)||27.84|
|NP Margin (%)||36.97|
Industry in India
Strong macro tailwinds to support industry growth. Housing demand expected to exhibit sustained momentum. Industry consolidation and growing demand for premium and luxury housing augurs well for larger & credible players.
Indian office ecosystem continues to be preferred by large occupiers; Increasing demand from GCCs should support steady growth in the segment, however global uncertainties deferring decision-making.
Frequently Asked Questions
DisclaimerInvestment/Trading in securities Market is subject to market risk, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. The risk of loss in trading and investment in Securities markets including Equites and Derivatives can be substantial.
Gold prices are facing sustained pressure despite a backdrop of dollar weakness, a rare occurrence that coincides with a decline in yields on US Treasuries. Typically, the strength of the dollar and higher yields have been key components of the Federal Reserve's hawkish monetary policy.
- Sep 29, 2023
The last week of September turned out to be volatile as the markets corrected during the monthly expiry to test the 19500 mark. We witnessed a strong recovery in Friday’s session, and the index finally ended the week above 19600, with marginally weekly loss.
- Sep 29, 2023