Jio Platforms to form a JV with SES for providing satellite-based broadband services across India

Jio Platforms to form a JV with SES for providing satellite-based broadband services across India

by 5paisa Research Team Last Updated: Dec 14, 2022 - 08:46 pm 37.4k Views
Listen icon

With the availability of up to 100 Gbps capacity from SES, the JV will leverage Jio’s leading position and sales network in India to tap into this business opportunity.

Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) announced this morning that its wholly-owned subsidiary Jio Platforms Limited (JPL) shall form a joint venture (JV) with SES, for providing the next generation scalable and affordable broadband services in India.

Jio Platforms Limited (JPL), as an anchor customer of the joint venture, has signed a multi-year capacity purchase agreement. This agreement is based on certain milestones along with gateways and equipment purchases and has a total contract value of circa USD 100 million.

About the JV 

The newly formed JV, which intends to leverage satellite technology, shall be named Jio Space Technology Limited. It shall utilize multi-orbit space networks, that is a combination of geostationary (GEO) and medium earth orbit (MEO) satellite constellations. These networks can deliver multi-gigabit links and capacity to enterprises, mobile backhaul and retail customers across the country and neighbouring regions.

In this JV, SES will bring in its expertise in high-throughput GEO satellite along with O3b mPOWER, it's next-gen MEO constellation to extend and complement Jio’s terrestrial network and enhance access to digital services and applications.

Moreover, Jio will provide managed services and gateway infrastructure operations services to the newly formed joint venture.

The ownership structure

Jio Platforms Limited (JPL), which is the country’s leading digital service provider, shall own a 51% equity stake in this JV. On the other hand, SES, which is a leading global satellite-based content connectivity solutions provider, shall own the rest 49% equity stake. 

JPL is optimistic that this JV shall connect the unconnected areas within the country and the region to the full range of digital services, providing access to remote health, government services, and distance learning opportunities. 

At noon, the share price of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) was trading at Rs 2,340.85, a decline of 1.51% from the previous week’s closing price of Rs 2,376.85 on BSE.

Share Market Today

How do you rate this article?


Start Investing in 5 mins*

Rs. 20 Flat Per Order | 0% Brokerage


About the Author

Our research team is composed of some highly qualified research professionals, their expertise range across sectors.

Open Free Demat Account
Resend OTP
Please Enter OTP
Mobile No. belongs to

By proceeding, you agree to the T&C.

Latest News
Marinetrans India IPO lists 15.38% higher and hits upper circuit

Premium listing for Marinetrans India IPO, then upper circuit

Net Avenue Technologies IPO lists 133.33% up but later hits -5% circuit

Strong listing for Net Avenue Technologies IPO, then lower circuit

What you must know about India Shelter Finance IPO?

India Shelter Finance Corporation Ltd was incorporated in 1998 and offers small and mid-ticket home loans. These loans are typically in the size of ₹5 lakhs to ₹50 lakhs. It provides home loans for construction, purchase, extension and also for renovation.