This commodity chemical stock was trending today

This commodity chemical stock was trending today

by 5paisa Research Team Last Updated: Jan 12, 2023 - 05:55 pm 3.8k Views

It is the second-largest producer of soda ash in the country.  

On January 12, the market closed in the red. The S&P BSE Sensex closed trading at 59958.03, 0.25% down, while NIFTY50 closed 0.21% down at 17858. Regarding Sectoral performance, Industrials and Capital Goods outperformed, while Oil& Gas and Telecom were the top losers on the day. Among stock-specific action, GHCL Ltd was among the top gainers in BSE group ‘A’. 

The shares of GHCL Ltd closed trading at Rs 540.7, 4.2% higher on the day. The stock opened at Rs 522.9 and made an intraday high and low of Rs 543.5 and Rs 522.15, respectively.

GHCL is the second-largest producer of Soda Ash and among the leading sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) producers in the country. It has one soda ash manufacturing plant at Sutrapada in Gujarat with an installed production capacity of 11 lakh MTPA. It has a 25% market share in the domestic soda ash market. It is also involved in the spinning business with the current 2 lakh installed spindle capacity. 

The company operates under 2 segments- Inorganic chemicals and spinning business. The soda ash and sodium bicarbonate business come under the inorganic chemicals segment. As per Q1 FY23, 79% of the revenue was contributed by the inorganic chemical segment and the rest 21% by the spinning segment. 


  • 5 Lakh MTPA soda ash capacity addition in the next three years where total investment is expected to be around Rs 3500 crore. 

  • Doubling capacity for sodium bicarbonate from 60K MTPA to 120k MTPA by Q3FY23.   

  • 40,000 spindle capacity addition expected to be completed in Q2FY23. More 40,000 spindle addition is planned to be completed by FY24. 

  • The company will be funding the majority of its CAPEX plans through internal accruals. 


  • New investments in solar energy and lithium battery are significantly contributing to the demand for soda ash.   

  • Supply and demand dynamics for the soda ash market are favourable where there is no additional capacity available in the market for the next 2 years and the demand remains secular. 

How do you rate this article?


Start Investing in 5 mins*

Rs. 20 Flat Per Order | 0% Brokerage

About the Author

Our research team is composed of some highly qualified research professionals, their expertise range across sectors.


Investment/Trading in securities Market is subject to market risk, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. The risk of loss in trading and investment in Securities markets including Equites and Derivatives can be substantial. Also, The

Open Free Demat Account

Resend OTP
Please Enter OTP
Account belongs to

By proceeding, you agree to the T&C.

Latest News
Sahana Systems IPO GMP (Grey Market Premium)

Sahana Systems IPO worth ₹32.74 crore comprises entirely of a fresh issue of shares by the company. The price band has been fixed in the range of ₹132 to ₹135.

  • Jun 07, 2023
Spectrum Talent Management IPO GMP (Grey Market Premium)

The ₹105.14 crore IPO of Spectrum Talent Management IPO comprises entirely of a combination of a fresh issue of shares and an offer for sale (OFS) by promoters and early shareholders.

  • Jun 07, 2023
IKIO Lighting IPO GMP (Grey Market Premium)

IKIO Lighting IPO worth ₹607 crore comprises of an offer for sale and also of a fresh issue of shares. The offer for sale (OFS) component is by the promoters and early shareholders of the company.

  • Jun 07, 2023

Start Investing Now!

Open Free Demat Account in 5 mins

Enter Valid Mobile Number