Microsoft has become the first big tech company to join Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) an Indian government-backed platform created to provide a level playing field to all e-commerce companies.
Microsoft and India Relations
- Microsoft Corporation is an American multinationaltechnology corporation which produces computer software, consumer electronics, and personal computers.
- It was founded by Bill Gatesand Paul Allen on April 4, 1975, to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the Altair 8800.
- Microsoft India Private Limited is a subsidiary of American software company Microsoft Corporation, headquartered in Hyderabad, India.
- The company first entered the Indian marketin 1990 and has since worked closely with the Indian government, the IT industry, academia and the local developer community to usher in some of the early successes in the IT market.
- India has always been a vital part of Microsoft’s plans. The company has been in India for more than two decades and have a footprint of sales research, development, and customer service operations.
- Microsoft has more than 6000 employees in India and over 10000 partners in India. It creates thousands of jobs and vibrant technology ecosystem.
Microsoft becomes first multinational technology firm to join ONDC
- The Company intends to introduce social eCommerce, i.e., group buying experience in the Indian Market.
- The US headquartered tech major intends to launch a shopping app for Indian customers, along with their social circle, harnessing the ONDC network to discover the best pricing among retailers and sellers.
- ONDC network is not just a model but a flexible idea that has a lot of explored and yet to be explored potential.
- By utilizing the strength of our open network users, Microsoft, too, can implement their creative ideas like social commerce swiftly.
- This collaboration will help widen the models available on the network and create a level playing field for stakeholders
- Microsoft and Oracle are looking to partner with ONDC to offer technology solutions that will enable companies to onboard the platform allow it to operate smoothly and scale up in future.
- He had said ONDC was forming several components that were beneficial for network participants and policy makers.
- For example, in the works were a registry of buyers and sellers and logistic providers, a network-wide reputation index, and an online dispute resolution framework.
- Cloud will be an important enabler for a project of this magnitude because it helps reduce IT infrastructure costs, helps faster time to market, is elastic, which means it can increase or decrease demand capacity on an as-needed basis.
- More importantly, it can offer scalability for unplanned growth and demand and is secure since the platform will be generating a lot of data.
- By 2030, the Indian eCommerce industry is anticipated to reach $400 billion, increasing at a 19% CAGR. ONDC aims to catalyse and accelerate this by enabling all kinds of buyers and sellers to leverage he digitization of commerce through its network, as it is based on the concepts of decentralization, openness, and greater user utility.