How to check vehicle insurance status online
Taking an insurance policy for a motor vehicle is not only a legal requirement in India but it is also a must to safeguard from financial damage in case of any accident or theft. There are mainly two types of coverage under vehicle insurance – third party (covers only the damage to another vehicle or person or property by the insured vehicle) and comprehensive (covers damage to the insured vehicle and its occupants as well as damage to other person or vehicle by the insured).
It is important to keep oneself updated on the status of vehicle insurance policy and when it will lapse to prevent fines that the government can impose under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1998, on uninsured vehicle and also to protect from damages during the period when the vehicle cover may have lapsed.
One option is always to go to the website of your insurer or call them up and check for the status. However, there are four other systems also to check for status of vehicle insurance policy online.
To check vehicle insurance status online without depending on the website of your insurance provider you can try any of these mediums:
- Parivahan Sewa website
- VAHAN website
- RTO website
- mParivahan App
How to Check Vehicle Insurance Status Online on Parivahan Sewa?
Parivahan Sewa is part of the government’s effort to digitise and centralise all vehicle-related information from across the country. The website updates information within couple of days of someone taking a vehicle insurance. Parivahan Sewa also provides information on driving licence, driving schools, booking driving tests online etc.
Steps to Check Vehicle Insurance Status Online on Parivahan Sewa?
- Go to https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in
- Select menu on the corner side of the screen
- Select information services within the menu
- Within information services select ‘Know Your Vehicle’
- A new screen https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/nrservices/faces/user/citizen/citizenlogin.xhtml will appear
- Enter your registered mobile number or create an account if new user
- Enter verification code and registration number of the vehicle
- There will option to ‘Search Vehicle’. Click on it
- The details of the insurance and expiration date will appear
- How to Check Insurance Status of Vehicle Online at the RTO?
Each Regional Transport Office, or RTO, has its own website. These comprehensive websites provide many services to the users including licence, insurance details, vehicle registration forms for no-objection certificate etc.
Steps to Check Insurance Status of Vehicle Online at the RTO?
- You have the visit the website of the right RTO and select ‘Online Services’ from the menu
- After that select the tab that says ‘Related Online Services’
- From the next menu choose ‘Vahan Citizen Services’
- Select ‘Status’ option
- Click on ‘Know Your Vehicle Details’
- Give the chassis number, engine number and registration number of the vehicle
- After the CAPTCHA code the details of the vehicle insurance will appear.
- How to Check Vehicle Insurance Policy Status on VAHAN?
The central government’s Ministry of Road Transport and Highway runs the https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in website for many services including vehicle nation permits, vehicle search, new vehicle registration, renewal of registration, transfer of ownership, change of address, fitness certificate, payment of challan etc.
As the road sector comes under both the state and the central government, the VAHAN website tries to provide services of both the governments through a single portal.
Steps to Check Vehicle Insurance Policy Status on VAHAN?
- Visit https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahaneservice/
- Click on ‘Know Your Vehicle’ tab
- Create a new account or enter your mobile number if already registered
- Enter the registration number of the vehicle and CAPTCHA
- Click on ‘Search Vehicle’
- All the information related insurance of the vehicle will appear
- Check Car Insurance Details Using mParivahan App
You can download mParivahan app instead of logging into different website to provide vehicle details, including insurance status, insurance company name, date of expiration, type of insurance etc. The app provides many other facilities including payment of vehicle challans, and all the motor vehicle paperwork from the convenience of mobile phones.
Importance of Vehicle Insurance Check Online
Online vehicle insurance check helps with many aspects that you may miss otherwise, such as:
- A check on whether the insurance company has uploaded the details with the government
- Double check on insurance details
- Keep track of the date of expiration of insurance
- In case you are not carrying a physical copy of the insurance paper, in some states details can be showed online or through the mParivahan apps.
Why it is important to renew your car insurance on time?
Car or vehicle insurance is legal necessity in India. You cannot drive a vehicle without insurance. Apart from being a legal necessity, it is also a must to provide a cover from any damage, both to the vehicle and of personal nature. If you miss on renewing car insurance on time you will be liable to pay a steep fine and your vehicle can also be impounded. Also, in case of any accident you will have to bear all the expenses yourself.
In case the date of expiration has passed, the new insurance company may also insist on physical inspection of the vehicle before giving new insurance. Not renewing your car or vehicle insurance on time, can turn out to be a costly mistake.
Can I drive a new car without insurance?
No. At least a third-party insurance policy is a must for new car. But that covers damage only to non-occupants, so it is better to take a comprehensive insurance policy for a new car.
How to check which insurance do I have?
Apart from the papers that your vehicle insurance company may have provided, you can check the type of insurance by logging into Parivahan Sewa, VAHAN, RTO website or mParivahan App.
How to check old insurance policies? ‘
You can check the website of your insurance provider for details of the old insurance policies of your car or any other vehicle.
How to check insurance claims?
Go to the website of your insurance provider. There is a claim section where the status of claims filed will appear after you provide the details of the vehicle.
SignatureGlobal India Ltd IPO gets a modest to healthy response
- Sep 22, 2023
The ₹1,201 crore IPO of Sai Silks (Kalamandir) Ltd consisted of a fresh issue of ₹600 crore and an offer for sale (OFS) of ₹601 crore.
- Sep 22, 2023
Copper witnessed a significant decline of -1.3%, trading at 715, primarily due to the strengthening dollar and increasing metal inventories. LME inventories surged to their highest level since May 2022, reaching 162,900 tons. Copper price slips lower amid higher dollar and inventory concerns
- Sep 22, 2023