|GAIL (India)||Gas Distribution||Equity||2.93%|
|Coforge||IT - Software||Equity||2.19%|
|O N G C||Crude Oil & Natural Gas||Equity||1.89%|
|Equitas Sma. Fin||Banks||Equity||1.86%|
|Torrent Power||Power Generation & Distribution||Equity||1.78%|
|Power Grid Corpn||Power Generation & Distribution||Equity||1.41%|
|United Spirits||Alcoholic Beverages||Equity||1.32%|
|St Bk of India||Banks||Equity||1.3%|
|The Ramco Cement||Cement||Equity||1.25%|
|Aster DM Health.||Healthcare||Equity||1.21%|
|Multi Comm. Exc.||Miscellaneous||Equity||1.21%|
|I O C L||Refineries||Equity||1.19%|
|NMDC||Mining & Mineral products||Equity||1.15%|
|Disa India||Capital Goods-Non Electrical Equipment||Equity||1.13%|
|Infosys||IT - Software||Equity||1.11%|
|Wendt India||Capital Goods-Non Electrical Equipment||Equity||1.08%|
|Tech Mahindra||IT - Software||Equity||1.08%|
|FSN E-Commerce||E-Commerce/App based Aggregator||Equity||0.91%|
|Petronet LNG||Gas Distribution||Equity||0.9%|
|Rallis India||Agro Chemicals||Equity||0.85%|
|CESC||Power Generation & Distribution||Equity||0.82%|
|NHPC Ltd||Power Generation & Distribution||Equity||0.81%|
|Larsen & Toubro||Infrastructure Developers & Operators||Equity||0.74%|
|Cummins India||Capital Goods-Non Electrical Equipment||Equity||0.74%|
|Sula Vineyards||Alcoholic Beverages||Equity||0.71%|
|Carborundum Uni.||Capital Goods-Non Electrical Equipment||Equity||0.7%|
|B P C L||Refineries||Equity||0.68%|
|K P R Mill Ltd||Readymade Garments/ Apparells||Equity||0.67%|
|M & M Fin. Serv.||Finance||Equity||0.66%|
|V-Guard Industri||Capital Goods - Electrical Equipment||Equity||0.58%|
|Esab India||Capital Goods-Non Electrical Equipment||Equity||0.56%|
|Natl. Aluminium||Non Ferrous Metals||Equity||0.53%|
|Ingersoll-Rand||Capital Goods-Non Electrical Equipment||Equity||0.51%|
|ICICI Pru Life||Insurance||Equity||0.48%|
|Kalpataru Proj.||Capital Goods - Electrical Equipment||Equity||0.39%|
|Automotive Axles||Auto Ancillaries||Equity||0.3%|
|Motherson Wiring||Auto Ancillaries||Equity||0.3%|
|Tube Investments||Auto Ancillaries||Equity||0.28%|
|M & M||Automobile||Equity||0.27%|
|HCL Technologies||IT - Software||Equity||0.16%|
|Harsha Engg Intl||Auto Ancillaries||Equity||0.02%|
|LIC Housing Fin.||Finance||Equity||0%|
|Pharmaceuticals & Biotech||6.42%|
|Cement & Cement Products||4.88%|
|Fertilisers & Agrochemica||2.16%|
|Minerals & Mining||1.1%|
|Chemicals & Petrochemical||0.7%|
|Textiles & Apparels||0.61%|
|Paper, Forest & Jute Prod||0.15%|
|Cash & Others||-0.29%|
|Exit Load||For exit within 1 year from th date of allotment - 1%. For exit after 1 years from the date of allotment - NIL.|
By actively managing investments using a contrarian investing strategy, SBI Contra Fund seeks to offer investors chances for long-term capital appreciation. A minimum of 65% of the fund’s assets are allocated to equities of businesses with a contrarian investment strategy.
Ever since its launch on May 9, 2005, its benchmark has achieved a Nifty 500 value in the 50 total return index. Mr. Harish Krishnan is the manager of this fund.
Pros and Cons
|Has been known to generate consistent returns throughout the years.||Highly volatile within its specific investment category, denoting greater danger of losing money.|
|It has a track of always overcoming its benchmark of the NIFTY 500 Total Index.|
|There are lower ‘downside risk’ probabilities in SBI contra fund as assets, more or less, retain their prices even when there is no growth.|
Who should invest in SBI contra fund?
SBI Contra fund requires very patient investors. The reason is that these funds invest in stocks that are underperforming at the moment. Hence, investors need to wait patiently till the reasons for underperformance are neutralised, and the stocks start earning profits again.
The investor should be willing to bear the high magnitude of short-term risks when investing in SBI Contra Fund as compared to investing in other funds. This fund bets on the underdogs instead of chasing the momentum and big shots of the market
The investor also requires an investment horizon of more than five years to invest here. Urgency will not bear fruit in this case.
Benefits of investing in SBI Contra fund
- SBI Contra Fund has the flexibility to invest up to 35-37% in other equities and/or money or debt market instruments. Such flexibility proves to be extremely useful to the investor, reducing risks and volatility while ensuring a steady flow of revenue returns.
- The fund follows a combination of a top-down and bottom-up approach to picking stocks. As a result, no stone is left unturned. Investors are given a chance to avail profits from each and every potential stock.
- While the risks are high, this type of investment offers the investors an opportunity to earn superlative returns owing to the method it employs. It is, for this very reason, pretty lucrative for anybody aiming at heavy cash.
- SBI contra fund invests in stocks of companies from the best profit-generating sectors and holds on to them till their demand increases. In this way, investors can take advantage of future trends in the stock market.
- In SBI contra fund, the performance of only the selected stocks and the alleviation of the factors which undermine them is more important. Hence, investors gain profits even when the collective markets are making bad or booking losses, despite the markets being at an all-time apex.
Mr Dinesh Balachandran joined SBI MF as a Senior Credit Analyst in 2012 and currently holds the position of Head of Research. He currently manages an AUM of INR 38,525 crores. At SBI MF, Mr Balachandran manages SBI Balanced Advantage Fund, SBI Contra Fund, SBI Long Term Equity Fund, and SBI Multi-Asset Allocation Fund. Before joining SBI MF, he worked with Fidelity in the US.
AMC Contact Details
Frequently Asked Questions
How to invest in SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth ?
- Login to your 5paisa account, Go to the Mutual Funds section.
- Search for SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth in the search box.
- Click on "Start SIP" if you wish to do a SIP or click on “One-time” if you wish to invest a lumpsum amount then click on "Invest Now"
What is the NAV of SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth ?
How to redeem SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth holding ?
What is the minimum sip amount of SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth?
What are the top sectors SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth has invested in?
- Banks - 15.69%
- Debt - 12.16%
- Pharmaceuticals & Biotech - 6.42%
- Power - 5.39%
- Industrial Products - 4.94%
Can I make investments in both the SIP and Lump Sum schemes of SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth?
How much returns have SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth generated ?
What is the expense ratio of SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth ?
What is the AUM of SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth?
What are the top stock holdings of SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth?
How can I redeem my investments in SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth?
Step 2: Log in to your account by adding Folio No. and M-Pin
Step 3: Click on Widhrawal > Redemption
Step 4: Select SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth in Scheme, enter the redemption amount, and click on submit button.
Is there any lock in period for SBI Contra Fund - Direct Growth?
No, there is lock no in period for SBI Contra Fund – Direct Growth.