Table of Contents
Duplicate PAN cards become necessary when you want to protect the original one from getting misplaced or lost. Moreover, one can apply for a duplicate PAN card if someone has already lost, misplaced, or damaged the original card. The income tax department may issue a duplicate card to any PAN holder, but several processes are involved in getting it. So, if you want to apply for a duplicate PAN card and know its essentials, this post is a must-read.
What is a Duplicate PAN Card?
Duplicate PAN card refers to the document the income tax department issued to replace a misplaced, lost, or damaged original PAN to its holder. Often, people expose their essential documents to various dangers regularly and tend to lose them somehow. They may wonder about the different ways to get the card back or apply for a duplicate one. Now the income tax department makes it easy a duplicate PAN card convenient for these people. The following sections will contain more information on how to apply for lost PAN card online and offline.
How to Apply for Lost PAN Card?
Now, applying for a lost PAN card or a duplicate one is simple and very easy. To conduct the process, you can file an application to its official website, TIN-NSDL and paper form. The application to file for a lost PAN card must be sent to the NSDL's PAN service unit. Applying for a duplicate card online can be time-saving and is less expensive.
How to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card Online?
Here are the steps on how to get duplicate pan card online:
a) Visit the TIN-NSDL site and choose application type- 'correction or changes in the existing PAN information or reprint the PAN card (alterations aren’t needed in the current data). In case your card is stolen, lost, or misplaced, you must reprint the card without altering the data.
b) Make sure to input the correct and mandatory information and submit it.
c) The site will generate the token number for the registered email-id. Keep the token number safe for your future reference, then continue filing your application.
d) Next, you must fill in the mandatory personal details on the page and select the PAN form submission mode. There are three different modes, such as:
● Submit the form digitally via e-sign and e-KYC- When choosing this option, an Aadhaar card is mandatory, and its details must be given to the duplicate PAN card form. You will receive an OTP in the registered mobile number for verification purposes. You need not upload a signature, photo, or any document. A digital signature is necessary when submitting your final application using this mode for e-signing the form.
● Submit the documents physically- Print the acknowledgement form you generated after payment and the necessary copies. Send them via registered post to the NSDL's PAN service unit.
● Submit the scanned image via e-sign- This mode also mandates having the Aadhaar and uploading scanned images of signature, photograph, and other required documents is necessary. You will receive an OTP for verifying your application form.
e) Select the option to request the physical PAN or e-PAN. When you choose e-PAN cards, ensure to input a valid mail-id. This ID would receive the e-PAN, which is digitally signed.
f) The next step includes filing your contact and other necessary details, document details etc., and submitting it. g) You’ll reach the payment option. When you make the payment for applying for a duplicate PAN card online, it will generate an acknowledgement form.
h) Using the fifteen-digit number given in the acknowledgement form, you may check the application status of the duplicate form.
i) Your duplicate card would be shipped within two weeks when income tax department receives your application.
How to Apply for Duplicate PAN Card Offline?
Here are the steps on how to apply for duplicate pan card:
a) You can download the offline to request a new or duplicate PAN and correct its data. Print the application.
b) Fill the application using black ink and block letters.
c) Write the ten-digit card number in the form for reference.
d) As the individual applicant, you must attach two passport-size photos cross-signed properly without covering your face while signing.
e) Next, fill out all the essential information on the form, then sign on the required sections.
f) Once you have completed the form and attached the necessary documents, including payment, address proof, proof of identity, and PAN proof, send the application to the facilitation centre of NSDL. After receiving the payment, the centre will generate an acknowledgement form with a fifteen-digit number.
g) The facilitation centre will forward the application to the services unit of the Income tax department PAN for the application processing.
h) You can track the duplicate PAN card status by using the fifteen-digit acknowledgement number that was generated.
i) Once the department receives your application, your duplicate PAN card would be dispatched in two weeks.
When Do You Need to Apply for A Duplicate PAN Card?
You may apply for the duplicate PAN card in situations like:
● Theft/ loss: It is common for individuals to keep the PAN cards either in their pockets or wallets, which can lead to them being lost in the event of a wallet or purse theft. As a result, many people in India submit more than one application to the concerned department for a duplicate PAN card due to this reason.
● Misplaced: On multiple occasions, individuals may misplace their PAN card and become uncertain about where they have left it.
● Damaged: The best option for any damage to an existing card is to obtain a reprint. If the information or signature provided during the initial application process has changed, reprinting the card having the updated details is the only option.
Who can Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card?
In India, different taxpayers, like HUFs/individuals/Companies, exist. However, except individuals, taxpayers can't file their application for a PAN card. All taxpayers and not the individuals must have an authorised signatory for filing the application. The authorised signatories list is as follows:
Karta of the HUF
Any of the company's directors
AOP(s)/ Association of Person(s)/ Body of Individuals/ Artificial Juridical Person / Local Authority
Authorised signatory, as noted in the various taxpayers' corporate charters
Limited liability partnership/ Firm
Any of the LLP or Firm's partners
What are the Documents Required for a Duplicate PAN Card?
Here are the documents that you must have when applying for a duplicate PAN card:
● Self-attested document IDs like voter ID, driver's licence, and Aadhaar card.
● Self-attested copy of address proof like electricity/water bills, voter ID, Aadhaar card, bank account statement etc.
● Self-attested PAN card copy or PAN allocation letter.
● Self-attested papers with the birth date like passport, birth certificate, university certificate etc.
How to Check the Duplicate PAN Card Application?
You can check the status of the duplicate PAN card online or offline application using the following steps:
● Visit the official website of TIN-NSDL and check your application status for the duplicated PAN card.
● Choose 'PAN change request/new' from the application type.
● Enter the security code and confirmation number.
● Submit the page.
These steps will show you the duplicate PAN card application status on the screen. If anybody chooses a paperless option for getting this document, they must download the duplicate PAN card copy online.
How to Surrender Duplicate PAN Card?
Carrying multiple PAN cards is prohibited by law, and anyone found possessing multiple cards will be penalised Rs. 10,000. Therefore, if you possess multiple PAN cards, you must surrender the extra card promptly by following these instructions:
● Write a letter and provide all the necessary PAN card details to request the return of the extra card to the assessing officer.
● Clearly indicate which PAN you intend to keep and which you want to surrender.
● Once you submit the letter, an assessing officer will review it and provide the acknowledgement number. This number serves as confirmation that the duplicate PAN card has been cancelled.
Some Important points relating to duplicate PAN card
● To replace a lost PAN card, file a First Information Report (FIR) and submit it to the NSDL office with the necessary documents and reprint the application form.
● The application processing fee for a duplicate PAN card is Rs. 1020 if the communication address is outside India and Rs. 110 for those within India.
● Applicants can pay for the duplicate PAN card using DD, net banking, debit card, or credit card. After payment, an acknowledgement screen will show the downloadable receipt.
● Once payment is completed, the system will generate the acknowledgement number for the duplicate PAN card application. Applicants should save this number, print it, and send it to NSDL e-GOV.
● If the person is a minor applicant, they must include their Aadhaar card number in their application form.
● If the applicant is using a thumb impression and not a signature, the Gazetted Officer, Magistrate, or Notary Public must verify it using their official seal and stamp.
How to Download a Duplicate PAN Card Using an Aadhaar Card?
The Indian government has launched a new service that allows individuals to obtain their PAN card easily using their Aadhaar card number. This entire process is paperless and free of cost. To download a PAN card using your Aadhaar number, follow the steps below:
a) Go to the Income Tax e-Filing portal.
b) From the 'Quick Links' section, select the 'Instant e-PAN' option.
c) Click the 'Check Status/Download PAN' button on the next page.
d) Enter your Aadhaar number and the captcha code to receive an OTP for authentication. Verify the OTP.
e) Once the verification is successful, you can view the status and download your e-PAN card.