Table of Contents
How to Check Income Tax Refund Status With The Help Of E-Filing Websites?
The issuance of an Income tax return comes into play when the total amount of paid tax is higher than the amount of due tax. In such cases, the taxpayer can receive the extra tax paid as a refund. You can easily track down the refund status through the E-Filing website. But how to check the TDS return status? Here's all you need to know! There are several steps that you need to follow to check the status. These are mentioned below:
● Go to the Income Tax e-filing website
● Use your PAN ID and password to log in to your account
● After logging in, the option 'View Returns/Forms' option will be visible on the dashboard.
● Click on it and select the year of assessment for which the tax return has been filed
● Next, you need to click on the acknowledgement number of the income tax return whose refund status you need to check.
● All the details will be instantly displayed on the screen. Search for the tab called 'refund status' and click on it.
● You will automatically display the refund status with the payment mode and total amount.
If you have already received, your payment or the payment has been successfully initiated and credited to the recipient's bank account. You will find the status to be displayed as 'Refund paid'.If there has been any problem with the refund processing, the status will show as 'Refund cancelled' or 'failed'. You must contact the Income Tax Department for more relevant information in such a situation.
How to Check Income Tax Refund Status With The Help Of TIN NSDL Website?
The return status can also be checked through the TIN NSDL Website. For this, the first step that you need to do is visit the official website and then follow the steps mentioned below:
● After visiting the website choose the appropriate option in the drop-down box. You will find two options, 'TAN' or 'PAN', and select the proper type of taxpayer you are.
● Follow by entering your TAN or PAN number appropriately.
● Next, you need to enter the assessment year correctly for which the ITP has been filed.
● Provide the required captcha code, and finally click on 'submit'.
You will instantly find all the information regarding the refund amount and payment mode.
What are The Different Types of Income Tax Refund Statuses?
While checking the refund status, numerous types of messages can be displayed on the screen. You must know all these to decode them correctly and gain the relevant information.
This status represents that your Income Tax Return submission has been done successfully to the respective department.
The Income Tax Department has successfully approved the return of the excess tax paid.
This means that the department has approved the refund, which will be credited to the given bank account shortly, or a cheque could also be issued.
'Refund sent' represents that the refund has been successfully processed and is forwarded to the respective bank account.
'Refund failed' status represents that there has been an error occurred at the time of processing the income tax refund. Therefore, it still needs to be finished successfully.
This represents that the refund request has been declined due to some reasons, including improper bank statements or other relevant issues.
No Demand, No Refund:
Such a status represents that there's no more refund due for the current year of assessment, and therefore there's no outstanding demand against the PAN.
If you have filed an income tax refund request, you must visit the website regularly and check the status to get the latest information.
How to Pay Income Tax Refund via Direct Credit and Cheque?
There are typically two modes through which Income Tax Refunds can be paid. They are either through cheque or direct credit.
One of the fastest and most convenient ways of receiving income tax payments is through the direct credit mode. Direct credit can only happen if you have provided the appropriate bank details. This will help you to get the refund amount directly credited to the account with the help of RTGS or NEFT.
This is an automatic process where you don't need to engage in further activities. It will automatically reflect in your account within the stipulated time. But you need to ensure that you have provided the correct bank details. Otherwise, an error will be caused in the process, which might delay the entire thing.
If a person still needs to provide the bank details when filing a tax return, the tax department typically issues a cheque to make the refund procedure successful. The cheque will reach your address in the income tax department's record. Unlike the direct credit mode, this is not an automatic process. Therefore, you must deposit the cheque in your bank to receive the refund. For this, you must also ensure that your address is updated correctly in the Income Tax records; otherwise, the process might involve hassle.
How to Request for Refund Reissue?
If a person has yet to receive the refund or the cheque for the refund got misplaced somehow, the Income Tax Department allows the person to request a reissue. The steps to undertake for the request for the reissue are as follows:
● Go to the tax E-filling website
● Use your ID to log in to your account after entering the password.
● After logging in, click on the option displayed on the dashboard as 'View Returns/Forms.'
● Choose the relevant year of assessment for which the return has been filed.
● Select the ITR acknowledgement number for which the request is to be made
● ITR details will be shown on the screen. Search for the 'Refund Reissue Request' tab and select it.
● Fill in all the related information with your IFSC, bank account and other necessary info.
● Finally, submit the reissue request.
Reasons for a Delay in Receipt of TDS Refund:
A delay in receiving a TDS refund can be due to various reasons. Some common causes are mentioned below that you can look at:
Inappropriate Bank Details:
Providing incorrect bank details like the wrong IFSC, account number, or other relevant information can delay getting a TDS return. Therefore it is always advised to double-check all entries and report correctly.
The disparity in TDS Details:
Suppose any discrepancies are mentioned in the details of TDS in the income tax return and in all the details that the deductor submitted. In that case, it might delay the processing and receiving of it within time.
Process Of Verification:
Typically, the income tax department conducts a verification process to ensure the TDS refund claim has been done accurately. This usually takes quite some time delaying the whole process.
Non-filing Of Tax Return:
If the income tax return of the relevant year of assessment has not been filed correctly, it might delay the procedure of processing involved in the refund of TDS.
If any technical issues or glitches occur in the Income Tax Department system, the whole process might be delayed. In several cases, this might also happen due to server downtime.
Non-Submission Of TDS Certificates:
The delay in the TDS refund can also occur due to some casualties on the part of the deductor. For instance, if the TDS certificates have yet to be submitted to the Tax Department, the process will eventually delay.
How to Raise a Complaint Against Delay in TDS Return?
Apart from the most common question concerning how to check TDS return status, another frequent query is how to raise a complaint against any delay in TDS return. Here's a guideline which you can follow:
● Visit the E-filing website of the income tax department.
● Log into the account by using your ID and password.
● You will find an option called 'My Account' on the dashboard; click on it.
● Then select the option named 'Service Request.'
● You will find an option called 'New Request'; choose the 'TDS Refund' category and fill up all the details that have been asked for.
● Give a valid reason for the delay in the refund and finally complete the submission process.
After the submission of the complaint, it will be verified by the department, and other further actions will be taken accordingly.
Open Free Demat Account
By proceeding, you agree to the T&C.
More About Tax
Frequently Asked Questions
In the case of delay concerning income tax refund, the department will offer no compensation. However, the tax department usually offers commitment regarding processing funds as early as possible. This ensures a quick and hassle-free procedure for taxpayers. If you are facing a delay, you can raise your complaint with the Tax department.
But it is also essential to know that the procedure involved in tax refund includes multiple stages, which take a considerable amount of time. Sometimes delays might also occur due to technical glitches or errors on the taxpayer's part. Therefore, filing the tax refund correctly is advised to avoid any hassle or delay.
You can become eligible for an income tax refund only if you have paid more tax than the amount required for a specific financial year. The overpayment might occur due to some calculation errors or as a result of disregarding any tax reductions you are eligible for while filing the tax.
Considering the Income Tax Act regulation, there's no particular time limit for claiming a refund for Income Tax. But it would always be wise to claim the rebate as early as possible once the tax return has been successfully filed for the current assessment year.
At the time of filing the original income tax, if you have not claimed a refund, what you can do is you can file a revised return to claim it. This can be filed in a year, counting from the end of the previous year's assessment.
Usually, the time taken to reflect the income tax refund in the recipient's account depends on several factors. These factors include the accuracy of all the details provided, including the bank account, time involved in processing the refund by the bank, and the total workload of the tax department for the particular year.
Generally, the department of income tax processes returns within a few weeks after filing the return after processing the refund and approval on the part of the tax department. It sends a notification to the bank for a refund. The further time that the bank takes depends on several procedures and policies. Generally, the process is completed within a few days to a few weeks.
Yes, you can check the status of your income tax refund online by visiting the tax e-filing website. Follow the steps mentioned below after visiting the website:
● Log in to the account through the user ID and enter the password.
● After logging in, click on the option called "View Returns/ Forms" that you will find on the dashboard.
● Click on the assessment year whose refund status you want to check.
● Click on the number of acknowledgement of the concerned income tax return
● Move down to see the quality of the income tax refund successfully.
There exists a vast difference between the both, and the difference encompasses mainly in the concept, which is explained below:
Income Tax Return: It is a kind of form that needs to be filed by the taxpayer with the Income Tax Department to make the department aware of the total income earned in a particular financial year, along with claiming exemptions and deductions and calculation of the total tax liability for the year. The individuals annually file this, firms, companies and anyone with taxable income.
Income Tax Refund: This is a payment that the Income Tax Department makes to the concerned taxpayer. This is done when a taxpayer's paid amount of tax exceeds the required payment of yearly tax liability. The excess amount as the refund is paid back by the department of Income Tax to the taxpayer.